[Osmf-talk] Humanitarian work (was: 2018 a third episode...)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Dec 16 18:16:34 UTC 2018

Am 16.12.2018 um 18:43 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/16/18 18:13, Simon Poole wrote:
>> If one tries to piece together the history of HOT, at least from an OSMF
>> point of view*, it is very clear that HOT was sold to the board by Mikel
>> at the time as ""our department" for humanitarian work".
> Well - it is quite possible that, at the time, everyone was happy not to
> have to deal with humanitarian issues and that, at the time, it *was* a
> good idea to simply let folks run with it.

Well that was the selling part, I believe it is fair to say that the
board members at the time had been convinced that this separate
organisation was a really good idea. But ...

> Considering how big HOT has
> become, I'm quite happy that they're not an OSMF working group, or else
> we'd have a constant case of the tail wagging the dog ;)

... there is this small question of money.

I know of at least one occasion during the time we are discussing in
which, being nice here, funding opportunities were diverted to HOT and
multiple later on in which interested donors were pointed to HOT,
without the OSMF receiving a single cent. Any reasonable agreement on
the establishment of HOT would have, a) laid down the rules on how the
name can be used, and b) required that a suitable percentage, likely
something between 10-20% of the funds received  would go to the OSMF as
partial support for the infrastructure HOT was building its not
unsuccessful business on.

Now we do actually have the tail wagging the dog in that the
organisation that was built with money that rightfully should have at
least partially gone to the OSMF is trying to outstrip the OSMF in every
aspect.

Simon