[Osmf-talk] Communication style - moderation - CoC [was Re: Board members with similar background (was: 2018 a third episode...)}

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:22:11 UTC 2018

Hi Blake,

Thanks for your email.
Let me re-clarify that my purpose in the past OSMF elections has been
to ensure a maximal diversity of OSM perspectives (from organizations
or individuals) at the Board of the foundation; I believe that this
is, in the case of HOT US Inc, the best interest of both
organizations.
The reactions of some hotties and the majority of its directors in
2015 revealed the culture of violence that I documented. Itt
materialized in the use of CoC for membership control. The continued
entryism of HOT US Inc at the OSMF Board in 2017 with a candidate
campaigning for cultural change at OSMF through inter alia the
adoption of CoC across OSM constituted for me a second set of specific
reasons to balance HOT US Inc presence at the board of the foundation.
I strongly believe that the CoC culture in HOT US Inc and what I
described as being its specific culture is detrimental to the best
interests of this NGO, it forced many nice folks out of its membership
or stopped them to take a more active part in it under its current
governance model.
I have not been trying here to resolve a personal issue with HOT US
Inc, I mobilized materials from the history of this organization
(including my own CoCs) as cases in these elections' discussions to
help inform OSMF membership vote.

Best,
Nicolas

Email: nicolas.chavent at gmail.com