[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] "The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Feb 20 10:44:05 UTC 2018

Actually I think this is more  indicative of why software development is
so inefficient in OSM than anything else.

There are plenty of developers in OSM space, but when they do something

- It is mainly ego driven, quite understandably so "if I spend my free
time on something, I want the glory", with the result that it is nearly
impossible to get people to work together on an existing project,

- it is completely uncoordinated, the EWG just went through a process of
gathering and prioritising important tasks, Bryan creates a parallel
effort to bolster his election platform so we end up with duplication of
effort even at a meta level, not to mention that most devs can't even be
a****d to mention on the dev list that they intend to work on something
and by that don't get important requirement information (for example
information on GDPR related requirements).

SImon