[Osmf-talk] seeking feedback on the Welcome Mat

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Jul 21 15:05:03 UTC 2018

On Friday 20 July 2018, Mikel Maron wrote:
> We're seeking your input on the Welcome
> MatĀ https://osmfoundation.github.io/welcome-mat/, a communications
> project to help organizations to familiarize themselves with OSM, the
> project, the community and especially to learn about our expectations
> and their responsibilities. The idea developed at the 2017 Board F2F
> (https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-
>face-meeting/) and has been slowly cooking since then
> (https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Welcome_Mat_to_organisations)
> Many folks have contributed, and provided good review and feedback so
> farĀ  -- and we want more!

Thanks for introducing this to the public discourse.

Want to mention two things in particular where broader input would be
important:

* 'Who uses OpenStreetMap?':

https://osmfoundation.github.io/welcome-mat/about-osm-community/consumers/

currently has a fairly extreme US and English language bias.  This
should be a list of examples covering the diversity of OSM data use,
both thematic and geographic.  I suggested to base this on the "one
example per category per country" idea and it would be great if we
could collect sufficiently many and sufficiently meaningful examples
along these lines to make this work.  And yes, IMO this includes for
example a small local business from South America or elsewhere with an
interesting local application displacing a multi billion dollar
international corporation that happens to use OSM based maps in their
services.

Maybe the various local communities can discuss what the most remarkable
uses of OSM data they have locally and contribute the result.

The issue for that topic is:

https://github.com/osmfoundation/welcome-mat/issues/13

* 'How good is OSM data?':

https://osmfoundation.github.io/welcome-mat/working-with-osm-data/how-good-is-osm/

is currenly not sufficient to give the reader a useful impression of the
quality of OSM data from diverse perspectives.  There is a lot of
material - both community written and in the scientific literature - on
this topic but it can be a bit overwhelming so it would be good to
distill what is most meaningfull and understandable of this into a
short list of annotated references.

This is essentially doing a bit of review work on existing data quality
analysis and writing up the results in a compact and understandable
form.

https://github.com/osmfoundation/welcome-mat/issues/12

--
Christoph Hormann