[Osmf-talk] Dangers of Open Data?

3rik Albers osm at 3rik.cc
Fri Jun 15 08:07:48 UTC 2018

Hi Aliya, all,

On 12.06.2018 11:57, aliya ryan wrote:
> I’m looking for any resources that discuss the dangers of open mapping efforts in terms of threats/risks to human rights. My particular interest is indigenous peoples, land rights, data extractivsm. but anything on this subject would be of interest.

interesting topic. I am wondering about areas of subcultures or political
shelters. They often have strict rules on anonymity, no pictures etc and
conservative thoughts on the use of technologies. Think about squatted houses,
immigrant housing or any non-conform political group locations. Sometimes they
are mapped, sometimes not. Can they by any means avoid to be mapped? Is there,
for example, a squatting tourism and does being mapped lead to become a
tourist spot? Is there any good in the right to be deleted or blurred (like in
google street view)? Could such a policy in any way be implementend in
OpenStreetMap?

Best,
   Erik