[Osmf-talk] AGM and this year's election process

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Nov 6 09:19:27 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 06 November 2018, Dorothea Kazazi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [...]

Thanks for the details.

> This meeting will have a board election, with two seats available (of
> Peter Barth and Martijn van Exel).

Since Peter, Martijn and Mikel were all elected at the same time the
question arises how the decision was made that the seats of Peter and
Martijn are available but not that of Mikel.  Was this based on lot or
did Peter and Martijn offer their seats?

> * We invite members to post their questions to
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/AGM18/Election_to
>_Board up to 17 November.
> * When nominations close (or shortly after), a facilitator will
> gather the questions, organise them and will publish an official set
> for the candidates.

Which of course raises the question who the facilitator will be and how
he/she will be selected?

If the facilitator has the right to drop questions in this process i
would also like to know what sort of transparency rules and supervision
are put into place there.

I would not be comfortable participating in such a questioning process
if such aspects are not clear.

> * When all candidates have submitted their answers, there will be a
> given date when all answers/manifestos will be published at once. The
> proposed date is 30 November.

I think having a two weeks mandatory lag in communication between the
members and the candidates is probably going to have adverse effects on
the democratic process.

But as you said it is of course up to the members and the OSM community
how far they subscribe to the framework set by the board for board
elections.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/