[Osmf-talk] Voting "recommendations" by employers (straw poll)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Nov 11 23:13:11 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 11/11/18 12:04, Mikel Maron wrote:
> I'm not opposed, but don't particularly see the need.

Recent events have demonstrated to me that unsavoury scenarios which we
had hitherto assumed would certainly not happen because we're all good
people, *will* happen if we do not write our expectations down.

This is, essentially, the same argument we're having over and over on
codes of conduct, just with reversed sides. When it comes to *people*,
you are on the side that says "even if we haven't witnessed X at a
conference yet, it's better to write down that we won't tolerate X, just
so that if X should happen, everyone knows it is bad and they can cry
foul and will have our support". And I am on the side that says "I'm not
opposed but I don't particularly see the need".

When it comes to *companies*, I am on the side that says "I'd just like
to write this down since we all seem to agree, and if it should ever
happen in the future that a company manager writes voting suggestions
into an internal github ticket, I want the whistleblower to know we will
not ignore the message". And you are on the side that says "I'm not
opposed but I don't particularly see the need".

It appears that you have *more* confidence in business entities doing
the right thing, than in human beings doing the right thing.

I, on the other hand, trust people more and business entities less.

I believe that business entities and morals don't go together well. You
can have good people in a business entity but if they don't deliver
because they have morals then they will be replaced by people with less
morals who are better for profit. That's how things work.

Anyway, glad to hear that you're not opposed, so let's just find the
right words to ensure this will never happen, and move on.

Bye
Frederik