[Osmf-talk] Membership fee waiver

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Nov 15 14:51:06 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-15 6:33 AM, Mikel Maron wrote:
> Very good to note that people can simply apply for a waiver now. The
> resolution states
>
> > In order to be eligible for the membership fee waiver, the applicant
> may be required to contribute something else of value (e.g: time, …)
> to the Foundation, for example write a paragraph on mapping in their
> region
>
> So if this holds, an interested potential member emails the board
> (board at osmfoundation.org) and MWG (mwg at osmfoundation.org), with the
> details required for associate membership (name, OSM id, country) and
> a paragraph describing their need and some details on their
> contribution to OSM, we'll need to vote on it.
>
> We'll be discussing this in the OSMF Board meeting later today.

The board has approved the fee waiver program with
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-01-18#Membership_fee_waiver_program.
The form is done, it's been an issue of someone has needed to write the
text for the various parts of the process. There's been a desire from
board members to be able to point at processes and documentation (e.g.
for WG membership, how decisions are made, etc), so we wanted to get
those in place so we'd know what the responses to send were after people
filled out the form.

That the WG could use more people helping them set up the program is not
new news. If you believe it is important, join the WG and help,
particularly with fee waivers for financial need, where work still needs
to be done.

Please don't send emails like mentioned above, because that's what the
form is for.