[Osmf-talk] Welcome Mat for Organizations

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 28 19:20:27 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 11/28/18 12:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On a more general note it was always my assumption that maintainence of
> this would be turned over to the OSM community once the first version
> is done.

The idea was started on the OSMF board of directors in a face-to-face
meeting long ago; we never discussed who should be maintaining it after
it was published, and it was certainly never our shared or stated
intention to have the advisory board develop or maintain it.

The advisory board is likely not the right group to explain to
businesses and other organisations what the community wants, and doesn't
have the structure to take editorial control of a site like that - who
on the AB would have commit rights and how would the AB decide?

In terms of accountability and transparency the AB is weaker than the
average OSM body; there's a high danger of a dominant person or group in
the AB simply deciding what they want and the others wouldn't even
notice. As is indeed proven here where some people say that the AB "took
the lead on this" and others on the AB weren't aware.

On the other side I don't want to ask the DWG to do stuff they're not
asking for themselves.

Bye
Frederik