[Osmf-talk] Seeking your input on the Microgrant program

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:49:34 UTC 2018

Hello

The OSM Foundation Board has been exploring a new Microgrant program, and we are seeking your feedback on the design of this new initiative.

The overall objective is to enable individuals and teams with actionable ideas for moving OpenStreetMap forward, but need financial support to fully execute those ideas. Grants could cover events, travel, development, teaching, outreach, community engagement, documentation, to give just a few examples. We are looking at programs like Wikimedia RapidGrants [1] and HOT Microgrants [2] as a model: a quick, transparent process with low barriers to entry, open to OSMF members. We are targeting a €50k total budget for the inaugural round.

We have written up some of our thinking at this time on the OSMF wiki [3]. Some topics that have generated a lot of thinking and could use more input are:

   -
What is the composition of the selection committee? What criteria and process should we use to form it?

   -
What criteria and process should we use to rate and select proposals?

   -
Is there a role for Local Chapters in the selection process?

   -
What shapes can reporting on microgrants take, that is not overly laborious but informative for the OSM Community.

Look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas. The Board will be collecting feedback over the next couple weeks, and working to finalize guidelines over the next month. We plan to launch microgrants applications next month. Applications would be open for 1-2 months (tbd). Our aim would be to complete selection process and begin dispersals before the end of 2018.

Thank you

Mikel and OSMF Board of Directors
1) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid2) https://www.hotosm.org/projects/microgrants_and_community_development3) https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Microgrants_Consultation_document

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron