[Osmf-talk] Sometimes you do ban people (& GG) | Re: Board response: Disputed Area Policy (Crimea request)

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Feb 8 07:55:04 UTC 2019

On 7 February 2019 21:12:35 CET, Christoph Hormann
<chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:
>On Thursday 07 February 2019, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> [...]
>> That board should decide in their favour is not a given; strife could
>> also be drastically reduced by other means, like excluding them from
>> the communication channels in question.
>
>First note that if you exclude certain voices from articulating their
>views in certain venues you don't reduce strife, you just make it less
>visible from an inside perspective.

If I were to send 100 email messages a day to an OSM mailing list
calling all OSM contributors liars, from many different email addresses,
are you saying I shouldn't be banned from those mailing lists? If I come
to SotM with a loud speaker and shout and rant during every talk about
how the speaker is a liar, should I be allowed to continue? Or ejected
from the venue?

There are cases where there is conflict, and the person making the fuss
is wrong. and the only "solution" is to ban that person from the
list/event. Sometimes people will fight, and hurt people until the other
side goes away, and they claim "victory". We should be aware of
deployments of this tactic in spaces similar to ours, like GamerGate.

So sometimes, yes, you do ban people from lists/events/projects.

Rory