[Osmf-talk] Should there be ethical standards for corporate members?

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Feb 9 23:30:48 UTC 2019

On Saturday 09 February 2019, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Doesn't mean that a few of us here on this list couldn't get together
> and write something down and see what the others think. Whether and
> when this is officially adopted by the OSMF is IMHO another issue;
> companies could also voluntarily agree to a set of rules without this
> being enshrined. Members could encourage companies to sign up to the
> standard, independent of whether the OSMF makes the standard a
> prerequisite for corporate membership.

Yes, that is indeed not a bad idea.

> > On the other hand
> > this would also make it a good opportunity for the OSMF to actually
> > show this is possible and proove me wrong.
>
> Why always wait for others to do something?

Just for the record (not sure if the remark was specifically targeted at
me or as a general appeal to readers) - I have made quite a few
concrete suggestions for OSMF policy in the past.  As you might recall
i have written the first English language draft for a directed editing
policy for example [1], i have written a draft for a code of conduct
for multi-cultural OSM events [2].  I have also provided specific
suggestions, sketches and similar in the early discussion phase of
policy development on multiple occasions.

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Directed_Editing_Policy/Imagico_Draft
[2] http://blog.imagico.de/codification-of-contact/

--