[Osmf-talk] Remarks and question regarding board meeting minutes and circulars

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Jan 8 13:06:48 UTC 2019

On Wednesday 19 December 2018, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> > > My question here is if the board is going to change that in a way
> > > that ensures timely transparency of the advisory board input
> > > before it goes into decisions of the board.
> >
> > Can you suggest a practical way of doing that? I'm sure the board
> > would be open to suggestions.
>
> If you like i can start with what i indicated, i.e. writing a
> subjective log of AB input from my perspective and if you then say:
> This we can do as well and probably in a more neutral fashion you can
> just take over.

I have written something along these lines now:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Imagico/Unofficial_OSMF_Advisory_Board_Minutes

> Personally i think it might be a good idea (in other words: it might
> yield more valuable advise) to adopt a somewhat more clearly defined
> process for the AB in the way that topics brought to the AB for input
> (either from inside the AB, from the board or from the WGs) are then
> discussed by the AB in a certain timeframe and the results of this
> discussion are then sent to the board as input.
>
> Having a clearer separation between discussion and the advise
> provided as a result of this discussion could both have a positive
> effect on the depth and thoroughness of the discussion and the
> quality and signal-to-noise ratio of the input received by the board.

I would like to re-iterate that.  Writing the above log i noticed that
the current policy regarding the AB is:

> Advisory Board members communicate via a dedicated mailing list.
> Unless and until the Advisory Board itself determines otherwise,
> discussions in the Advisory Board are private.
>
> However, to ensure transparency, the OSMF Board of Directors will
> publicly minute, in their board meeting minutes, any communication
> sent to, or received from, the Advisory Board.

which makes a clear distinction between communication of the AB members
(which is to be private) and communication sent to, or received from,
the AB (which is to be minuted).  In reality this distinction is not
explicitly made by those communicating of course so you have to make
this distinction yourself.  And maybe what is in the board meeting
minutes is only communication considered by the board to be relevant
and useful for their decisions while i as AB member consider any
statement by AB members on the mailing list on subjects discussed to
constitute advise and "communication received from the Advisory Board".
Minuting for transparency only works if what is minuted is based on
objective criteria and is not at the discretion of what the board
considers noteworthy.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/