[Osmf-talk] Board statement - Membership Working Group report on unusual signups before OSMF election

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 30 16:54:42 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 1/30/19 5:27 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Since the concept of the board having phone calls with third parties is
> new to me i would like to ask for some more information on what the
> procedure is for that.

It was new to us as well, and there does not exist a procedure.

We ended up collecting a few questions that we would like answers to,
found two volunteers to take the call (Heather and Joost), and Dorothea
joined for minute-taking. The minutes were later made available to the
board members not present.

> Ok - that clarifies things a bit.  Does this also apply to the phone
> call mentioned above?

The main objective for the phone call, from our side, was to hear Global
Logic's side of the story. We didn't confront them with the report.

Personally, my hope was that without us telling them what we knew from
the report, they would voluntarily come up with an explanation that
perfectly matches the report. That did not happen.

>> No. This board decision was made redundant by MWG publishing their
>> report without waiting for board to come up with an endorsement.
>
> Ok.  This is however definitely not clear from the text of the circular.
> It says:
>
> "The MWG suggested the Board release or endorse the GlobalLogic report
> rather than it coming from just the MWG"
>
> I understand the "release or endorse" to mean that the decision would be
> to either have the report released by the board (and thereby be
> implicitly endorsed) or to have it released by the MWG (as it did
> happen now) and in addition have the board endorse it.  If - as you
> said - the decision is moot with the MWG releasing the report on their
> own the 'or' in the circular does not make sense, it would have to be
> an 'and' for that.

I see, what you're saying is that an endorsement from the board could
still follow after the MWG has already released the report. I don't
think we'll do that now, it would just use time better spent elsewhere,
but I haven't discussed with my colleagues.

> But my suggestion to try
> avoiding unclear formulations in board decision of course remains.

Granted, the wording of these circulars could have been better.

Bye
Frederik