[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] OSMF Board face-to face meeting: Suggest the topics and issues that matter to you

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat May 11 21:30:13 UTC 2019

On Saturday 11 May 2019, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
> I disagree with publishing and plus-one'ing questions in this thread,
> as it skews the naturally occuring topics from everyone into some
> direction. There are a bunch of different issues, and "should not
> work on anything else before resolving this" is a straight
> derailment.

I think you are misinterpreting the nature of the survey here - this was
discussed during the last board meeting:

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2019-04-24#Possible_community_survey

and is clearly meant not as a representative poll (for which it is
obviously unsuited) but as a way to gather a broad spectrum of
opinions.

It is good that the board with the survey offers a simple way to make
suggestions also non-publicly.  But public discourse is the heart and
soul of an open community like OSM and the idea that answering to this
survey publicly or having a public discussion on it skews the opinion
of people seems a rather negative view of how people form and evaluate
their opinion.  Learning about and discussing different views and
opinions is always beneficial for a balanced perspective and a
qualified opinion.

If you disagree that the topic i suggested should have priority over all
other topics that is perfectly fine.  But i don't see how me having
this opinion on priorities is inappropriate.  If you have other matters
you consider equally or more important i would be glad to hear about
them (and i am sure so would the board).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/