[Osmf-talk] New idea: Invite a LC to speak at each OSMF Board meeting

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Mon Apr 6 19:18:09 UTC 2020

Hi Rory,

Am 06/04/2020 um 19.34 schrieb Rory McCann:
> The OSMF Board is interested in what the local chapters are doing, but
> it's easy for things to slip. To address this, we're thinking of
> inviting one local chapter to speak at each OSMF Board Meeting.
>
> The LC would be chosen randomly, and we can only allocate about 10
> minutes per board meeting to this. We will re-evaluate after one or two
> meetings if it's going well. There would be no structure, or
> requirements, just a free form chat, to ensure all voices are
> (eventually) heard. All on the board are volunteers, doing it in our
> free time, we have unfortunately limited time to devote to this. We are
> still evaluating if we'll do this at all.
>
> So, OSMF members, do yous think this is a good idea? Would yous like the
> board to do this?

I am sorry but I struggle to see the benefit. Currently, if a local
chapter wants to be heard by the board, they email the board or an
individual member of the board who is from their country or very
familiar with their local language.

If the local chapter which has the right to speak is chosen randomly,
the ones who have a larger need to raise issues and speak, cannot speak
except explicitly asked to do so (and that's how it is at the moment).
TBH, this idea sounds like making board meetings more a show than a
productive meeting where things get done.

Or do you aim to get more transparency about the contact between the
board and local chapters? If yes, just speak more about things happening
between the meetings at the meeting. That's what we have been doing at
the public board meetings of FOSSGIS in the past two to three years.

Best regards

Michael