[Osmf-talk] New idea: Invite a LC to speak at each OSMF Board meeting

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:45:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 at 21:20, Michael Reichert <osm-ml at michreichert.de> wrote:

> I am sorry but I struggle to see the benefit. Currently, if a local
> chapter wants to be heard by the board, they email the board or an
> individual member of the board who is from their country or very
> familiar with their local language.

I'm going to disagree on this. If there's something so pressing that
the local chapter needs to contact the board, then this opportunity
doesn't prevent that from also happening. What this opportunity may
lead to is hearing about things that otherwise aren't quite urgent
enough to get around to contacting the board, or even just to hear
from different chapters that everything is running fine, or to tell a
pleasant anecdote from a different group, or similar things.

In the business world, regular one-on-one meetings, standups, or other
forms of recurring status checks are routine. Sure, you can say 'if
anyone needs me they can email me at any time' and sure, in theory,
that should be enough. And sure, some of these meetings are badly run
and don't serve their purporse. But recurring status checks are still
a valuable concept and shouldn't be pre-emptively dismissed. After
all, in OpenStreetMap I hear a lot more about new and interesting
things at conferences, where a specific opportunity to speak acts as
the forcing function for presenters to make a slide deck and decide
what they want to say, even though they could have writen a blog post
(or even recorded a presentation at home) at any time.

But mainly, I'm going to say the board should try it, since I don't
think it's helpful if we judge something as of no benefit before we've
even tried it.

Thanks,
Andy