[Osmf-talk] proposal OSMF active contributor membership

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:50:38 UTC 2020

Hi Michael/MWG,

Just to clarify, does this active contributor membership provision confer
regular membership or just associate membership? This difference matters
because only regular members have the right to run for the Board,
for example. (Looking at the January meeting minutes where this proposal
was discussed in the context of the existing fee waiver program, I guess
the answer is associate membership?)

Second, the January meeting minutes talked about paid mappers. Does this
proposal do away with the question? That is, it doesn't matter if the
mapping days were paid or not?

Third, what about edge cases? Suppose that when an active contributor's
membership expires on December 1 but they have only mapped 40 days over the
last year. They then proceed to map an additional 2 days and then renew
their membership on December 3. Does this mean that they can't vote on the
upcoming AGM because they haven't been a continuous member for the past 30
days prior to the AGM due to the 2-day gap?

Finally a suggestion. I understand you analyzed the membership statistics
to arrive at the roughly 42-day median value. While I like the geeky
significance of the number 42, why not just round this to a nice round
number like 50 or 40?

Thanks,
Eugene