[Osmf-talk] OSMF & Video Chat | Re: Next OSMF board meeting on Friday 17 April 2020, at 17:00 London time

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sat Apr 11 19:55:00 UTC 2020

On 11.04.20 20:36, Dorothea Kazazi wrote:
> The next monthly board meeting will *not* take place on Mumble.
> Rory will provide more information.

The on-going [Coronoavirus/COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2
pandemic](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic)
is causing a lot of in-person events to be cancelled or changed,
especially in Europe (where I am). The Board's own [“face-to-face”
meeting in
London](https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2020-03-F2F)
became a virtual “screen-to-screen”, which we used the increasingly
popular, yet closed source, [Zoom](https://zoom.us/) service. We found
video chat much nicer than the audio-only
[Mumble](https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble) that the board has
been used for years. The board will trial having board meetings on video
chat.

We have arranged a [BigBlueButton](https://bigbluebutton.org/) server to
be set up for the Foundation, currently hosted at the temporary URL of
[`https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/`](https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/). Our
board meetings will be happening in [*The Boardroom* meeting
room](https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-6j3-kxm). We will continue to
have open, public board meetings.
[Transparency](https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board_Rules_of_Order#3._Confidentiality_and_Transparency)
is important to us. The medium has changed, the commitment to
transparency has not.

Video chat over the internet is famously tricky. We will have a test 30
minutes before the April 2020 board meeting in [*The
Boardroom*](https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-6j3-kxm). The [April
2020 board
meeting](https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2020-04) will
be on [Friday, 17th of April 2020 at 17:00 London
time](https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting+-+Friday+17+April+2020+&iso=20200417T17&p1=136&ah=1).
One or more Board members will connect 30 minutes early (i.e. [Friday,
17th of April 2020 at 16:30 London
time](https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting++Video+Test+Period&iso=20200417T1630&p1=136&ah=1)),
and do some “live mapping” or something. You will have the option to
connect, and check that your web browser & internet settings are
working. If, when the meeting starts, the software doesn't work, we will
switch to the our old audio-only
[Mumble](https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble) meeting set up. BBB
has, I think, the option to only have audio. If you are on a slow, or
metered, internet connective, then such low bandwidth options are very
useful.

We are currently experimenting with, and investigating the capabilities
of, the BigBlueButton Software. Specifically, we want to ensure we can
moderate it well. I've been on the internet since dial-up days. Trolls
are an unfortunate part of The Internet™. Please, please, [create an
account](https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/signup) well before the
meeting. Please.

If BBB works well, we hope it will be useful for the wider OpenStreetMap
community, not just the Foundation or Board. More details will follow if
this software & service works well. Please inform the board/the
community/me of your experiences using this.

Thanks to the Cloud68/[Collective68](https://collective68.tech/) team
for their help with setting up & hosting this.

See you on the intertubes.

Rory