[Osmf-talk] OSMF & Video Chat | Re: Next OSMF board meeting on Friday 17 April 2020, at 17:00 London time

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sun Apr 12 12:03:33 UTC 2020

On Saturday 11 April 2020, Rory McCann wrote:
> [...] We
> found video chat much nicer than the audio-only
> [Mumble](https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble) that the board
> has been used for years. The board will trial having board meetings
> on video chat.

For some comments on this see

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/apm-wa/diary/392620#comment46918

> Please, please, [create an
> account](https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/signup) well before the
> meeting. Please.

Here i see a number of issues:

* First of all on a completely formal level that sign up form lacks -
you can probably already guess it - a privacy policy.
* Looking for what ToS and privacy policy might apply i found this:

https://cloud68.co/legal/terms-of-service
https://cloud68.co/legal/privacy-policy

Reading over this there are some fairly vague and fishy things in
there - for example the rights they reserve to share personal
information with third party are too broad and non-specific for my
taste (and i am no expert but i suppose it would also not meet legal
requirements here).
* Beyond that i would suggest to contemplate if this hosting setup is
suitable as a long term solution for board meetings (and possibly other
OSMF meetings i suppose).  Normal board meetings are public so there is
no real confidentiality concern.  But you have non-public meetings as
well.  Conducting them on a commercial service where the operators have
no meaningful contractual obligation to not share details of these
meetings with third parties is a potential problem from my perspective.
You could of course argue the same applies to using the HOT mumble
server but (a) HOT has a much clearer and more specific privacy policy
and (b) you could always move to the FOSSGIS mumble server when there
are concerns about this. ;-)  This is of course not something that
necessarily needs to be addressed right away.  If the software proves
to be useful in the OSM context it is even likely that some local
chapters might host a version of it and the OSMF could use that.
* Independent of the missing privacy policy I think it is not really
appropriate to require members to sign up with their full name to
participate in the meetings without the clear assurance that this name
is not shared publicly.  Generally in the OSM context providing your
OSM user name should be sufficient although i understand that if the
board wants to verify only OSMF members listen in and since providing
an OSM user name is not mandatory for becoming an OSMF member this is a
bit tricky.

Minor thing that might be useful for others:  The software seems to
offer the UI in different languages but you have no manual language
selector so you will have to use your browser's preferred language
setting for this.

As mentioned already in the diary comment i applaud the board for trying
out new means of communication - that will certainly be useful
independent of the question if critical evaluation shows this specific
setup actually being beneficial or not.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/