[Osmf-talk] OSMF & Video Chat | Re: Next OSMF board meeting on Friday 17 April 2020, at 17:00 London time

Joost Schouppe joost at osmfoundation.org
Fri Apr 17 08:01:10 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 9:50 AM Jóhannes Birgir Jensson <joi at betra.is>
wrote:

> Can I offer jitsi.org as a suggestion for a meeting platform?
>
> It’s encrypted, open source, and you don’t need an account to use it
> (using a browser you just give access to mic and camera).

BigBlueButton is very similar to Jitsi - it is also simple, browser-based
and open source. We tried out Jitsi as well. But BigBlueButton seems to
result in a more stable connection for most, and with better video quality.
With Jitsi, everyone needs to shut off camera if someone has connectivity
issues, with BBB, one can limit data flow client-side. I've also heard of
many people having weird issues with Jitsi - like some people only being
heard by some of the participants. I've yet to hear of such issues on BBB.
While BBB allows the admin to require an account, that is an option that
can be switched on and off on the fly. Currently, no account is
required. The tool will ask for a name, but you can fill in anything you
like.
In general, BBB still has issues when it comes to access management (e.g.
all rooms need an account, or no rooms need an account), but it does have
richer features than jitsi.