[Osmf-talk] do-ocracy and volunteering (was: OSMF & Video Chat | Re: Next OSMF board meeting on Friday 17 April 2020, at 17:00 London time)

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Apr 17 10:28:00 UTC 2020

On Thursday 16 April 2020, Rory McCann wrote:

> OSM is a do-ocracy. 😉 FOSSGIS (or others) hasn't set up or arranged
> an alternative. We have one option. Ergo that options wins. 😉😉

I am sorry for drifting a bit off-topic in this thread - but the above
indicates potentially a rather problematic mixing of two things that do
not mix well.  I am not sure if this is meant ironically - but to make
sure, even if it is, that it is not widely read and taken at face
value - the following comment.

OSM can in the long term only work as a do-ocracy as far as volunteer
work of individual independent volunteers is concerned.  Mixing in
organized and especially corporate activity into the do-ocratic domain
would destabilize the whole thing.  A company like Google could
essentially take over the project by donating sufficient manpower and
resources if do-ocratic principles are interpreted to apply to
organized and corporate activities as well.

People are much less likely to volunteer their personal time and
resources if they see these being just used and purely valued as a
cheap substitute for commercial services.  Saying:  "We take whatever
option is offered to us according to 'Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man
nicht ins Maul' and - should that fail at some point we will take money
to buy a substitute" is much less likely to motivate volunteers than
saying "We use this commercial service for testing now but in the long
term we would rather use and depend on volunteer provided and managed
services - even if that means we cannot just use our checkbook to make
them do what we want them to do".

Again - this comment is not meant to criticize what has been done, it is
meant to raise problem awareness for the future.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/