[Osmf-talk] do-ocracy and volunteering (was: OSMF & Video Chat | Re: Next OSMF board meeting on Friday 17 April 2020, at 17:00 London time)

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Fri Apr 17 14:50:51 UTC 2020

Christoph, by that logic nobody should use the iD editor, OSM's default
editor (and I suspect most used editor), which has been heavily
supported by private companies.  By that logic we should also reject
corporate sponsorship of tile caches.

Corporate involvement in OSM is a fact of life.  OSM has evolved away
from only being a hobby for craft mappers dependent on cast-off
equipment into something else.  We can ignore that evolution at our
peril, or we can seek to deal with the evolution, retaining as much of
the spirit of individual do-ocracy as possible while acknowledging that
corporate involvement is not going to go away.

One other point--the corporations have made clear in my conversations
with them that local knowledge from volunteer mappers is the key to the
value of OSM to them, and they therefore have no interest in "taking
over" the project or indeed in activities that would discourage local
craft mappers.  Some of them are in fact supporting local communities of
volunteer mappers in Asia.  I believe the threat to OSM emanates not
from the corporations supporting us now, but rather from external actors
who either view OSM as a competitor or simply may want ownership of the
current very valuable data without concern for potentially damaging or
killing the project.  I do not believe it is useful for us to denigrate
our current corporate sponsors and supporters, who appear to grok OSM,
while ignoring more realistic potential threats.

apm