[Osmf-talk] BigBlueButton audio issues

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Fri Apr 17 21:05:47 UTC 2020

Michael,

A few questions:

1) Were sound interruptions consistent across speakers?  You wrote "some
people"--were the same speakers affected, or did it vary by speaker?  If
so, which speakers?  We would like to troubleshoot this.

2) BBB has low-bandwidth options at the client level, for shutting off
the video feed, for example.  We may want to experiment with that as well.

3) My connection was fine, and I detected no interruptions.  I used my
HP Omen notebook, Chrome, and a Verizon broadband connection over wifi
including a range extender.

The BBB documentation
(https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/support/faq.html#how-many-simultaneous-users-can-bigbluebutton-support)
says a server supports up to 150 participants simultaneously, but no
more than 100 per session, with some caveats related to how many are
sending video.  We had about 30 on a single session, of whom only 7
board members and a few intermittent guests were sending video.  Thus we
should not have been anywhere near the outer limits of BBB's capacity.

I was first introduced to BBB by OSM India, which used it for my
videoconference with about 20 OSM India members.  It was very smooth,
with no problems, which really impressed me given my experience of three
years in New Delhi dealing with the slow and flaky local DSL connection.

Would you be interested in helping troubleshoot this?

cheers,
apm