[Osmf-talk] Funding of iD Development and Maintenance

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Mon Aug 3 15:53:35 UTC 2020

My two manats' worth:

In addition to what Mikel has outlined, the Board has examined the
question of why the Foundation effectively outsources support of key
software to private third parties, which in the view of some community
members gives those third parties ultimate control of the software.
There have been calls for the Foundation to begin funding key software,
such as iD.

Now, there are basically three ways forward.  Two are status quo ante,
the first being outsourcing key software support to a third party (e.g.,
Mapbox's and Critigen's previous support of iD, now ended, or Facebook's
ongoing support of RapiD), the second being the 100% volunteer do-ocracy
approach.  The third approach is for the Foundation to solicit donations
from a variety of sources (corporations using our data, philanthropic
organizations, other donors) and using those funds to support software
development.  The advantage of such an approach is that no single
outside entity has full control of a particular software project. This
last approach places more control of software development in the hands
of the Board and through it the community, but comes with certain
drawbacks (the Board is not structured well for such a management
function, which is why we want to resurrect the Engineering Working
Group, and we do not yet have a formal fundraising structure in place).

The worst case scenario is that if no funding were to be forthcoming
from any source, and no third-parties supported software, OSM would
revert to the 100% volunteer do-ocracy model, which has the drawback of
long time frames for completion of projects since volunteers work in
their spare time.  This is do-able but probably not optimal for "key" or
"core" infrastructure.  It remains, however, a possible path forward if
that is what the community wants.

All of the above is why the Board resolved to ask for community feedback
on the proposal.  This Board does not claim to have all the answers, and
solicits community ideas and thoughts in search of a solution.

apm