[Osmf-talk] Funding of iD Development and Maintenance

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Wed Aug 5 18:08:37 UTC 2020

What would be the purpose of having two separate entities, one an IP
holding entity and the other an operational one? Only as a liability
shield? I see holes in this proposal:
1) It's not clear at all that OSMF can assign the database rights to anyone
else. The Contributor Terms don't account for it.
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Licence/Contributor_Terms
<https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Licence/Contributor_Terms&uselang=vi&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop>
2) Adding another entity would complicate operations, accounting, legal,
and corporate registrations, at significant added cost (as a side note,
OSMF is not a charity under English law, and I would very much doubt that
an IP holding entity could count as a charity).
3) I'm not an English lawyer, so I would want an opinion from an UK lawyer
as to whether a wholly owned subsidiary would be a successful tactic under
these circumstances in containing any potential liabilities. (If there's a
goal besides creating a liability shield, I've missed the explanation.)

Kathleen