[Osmf-talk] Funding of iD Development and Maintenance

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Wed Aug 5 19:08:42 UTC 2020

Dear Emilie, et al,

You wrote,

> /I consider it to be quite astounding that we can just say "Well, the
> others have succeeded or failed but it is not directly relevant to us
> cause we are unique". There is an element of truth in that but it is
> an oversimplification. /
Who said, "...it is not directly relevant to us cause we are unique"?  I
missed that.  My response to Mateusz was, "So far in my analysis OSM
appears to be unique, but I am continuing to search for analogs that may
present lessons learned.  This circumstance is why the Board is
proceeding deliberately, cautiously, and in full consultation with the
community."  If you are aware of such analogs, the Board is all
ears--please inform us.  One of the motivations for community
consultation is the desire for people with knowledge the Board lacks to
speak up and offer said knowledge.

You wrote,

> /I am definitely not opposed to getting staff and I think there is a
> need for the foundation to actually hire (like the accountant) for
> specific positions and/or specific missions. I am reluctant to start
> just hiring more staff because we want to be more "professional". What
> are the short term, medium term or even long term visions? How do we
> sustain the foundation as it stands? /
Being more "professional" is not the objective.  Stability, reliability,
and robustness of the technology platform that serves up both OSM data
and data entry services to mappers and data users are the objectives,
just to be clear on that.  I consider the current volunteer sysadmins,
software maintainers, and other non-mapper contributors to be quite
professional but in some cases overburdened.  As a member of the OWG,
you are certainly aware of that.

What do you think the short-, medium-, and long-term visions should be?
The Board is currently mulling what the outer boundary should be of
growth and hiring.  We emphatically do not envision nor do we desire
becoming like Wikimedia, but that is a poor (a negative) objective--what
*does* the community want OSM to look like?  Does it want a stable,
reliable platform?  If so, what do we require to ensure that?  How much
is enough?  Do we want data entry tools that are attractive to mappers
and encourage newcomers to contribute data?  If so, how much money
should the Foundation raise to invest in those tools?  As I responded to
Mateusz, "We view unrestricted budget growth as a risk factor."  Where
is the threshold between achievement of robustness, stability,
reliability on the one hand and unnecessary bloat on the other?  We need
the community's perspective on that.

> /I think we have to be careful on how we proceed not so much because
> we will have some staff but because it will have implications on the
> project./
That is precisely why the Board has submitted proposals for community
consultation.  From your point of view, what specific implications does
the proposal portend?  Please be explicit, particularly regarding
anything we missed in the proposed hiring framework.
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Hiring_Framework&oldid=7348
We need your input.

> /Comments like "We have enough money for 3 years" are not helpful. It
> is not sustainable especially as we are entering some shift in the
> economy and some corporation attitude WILL shift towards money donation./
There is no doubt that the global economy is entering a new phase and
speaking as an economist, I can tell you the new phase will be highly
unpredictable.  That said, who wants to bet against the notion that
demand for OSM's free services will grow rather than fall during an
economic downturn, simply because they are free?  Also, speaking as an
economist, many other organizations, both commercial and non-profit,
would love to have a three-year operational expense cushion.  It is a
massive luxury and one we intend to protect, which is why the proposals
for iD involve attracting new money.  The fallback position if all
initiatives fail is reversion to a 100% volunteer do-ocracy operating on
a shoestring budget.  We have done that before and can do it again if we
have to, and at the moment we have sufficient funds to do that for
years, so the risk to OSM of a fundraising failure is pretty minimal.
On the other hand, by raising a relatively small amount of money we can
improve the platform's stability and reliability, continue to develop
some very useful software tools, and also place control of that software
development in the hands of the OSM community, not in the hands of one
or two private companies.

cheers,
apm