[Osmf-talk] OSGeo Oceania Local Chapter application

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 06:34:19 UTC 2020

Op di 11 aug. 2020 om 16:35 schreef Christoph Hormann via osmf-talk <
osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org>:

> But especially it is important in cultural matters where a local mapper
> should be able to expect to find understanding and like-mindedness
> w.r.t. their cultural views in their local chapters - no matter from
> where within the domain of their chapter they are.

Hi Christoph,
This line of thinking makes sense when you compare to nation-states with a
somewhat monolithic culture. Even in a country like Belgium, there are
already quite significant cultural differences between regions that the
local chapter should try to accomodate. In actual multi-ethnic states,
Local Chapters need to solve this problem as well. I'm pretty sure there
are several countries in Africa that have over 42 million people and have
similar cultural diversity within one country - well, if we ignore Papua
New Guinea, which itself has 820 languages.

Best,
Joost Schouppe