[Osmf-talk] OSGeo Oceania Local Chapter application

Rory McCann rory.mccann at osmfoundation.org
Wed Aug 12 14:37:17 UTC 2020

Hi all,

OpenStreetMap will eventually be massive, to the extend that I think
just one Local Chapter for a country like UK, Germany or USA would be
too large. There are national football teams, but also city & regional
football teams. Eventually OSM will be that big.

I always envisioned the current Local Chapters eventually spawning new,
more localized, local chapters. So we need to consider this “splitting”
situation eventually.

There already are OSMF Local Chapters with overlapping geographic areas,
and the new Local Chapter Agreement is faster to terminate, in the
highly unlikely event we need that option.

So while such a large area is uncommon, I don't think it's a problem
now. It appears the current OSGeo people don't want to be exclusive.

Rory