[Osmf-talk] Commitment to open communication channels

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Aug 17 18:42:01 UTC 2020

Aug 17, 2020, 19:41 by heatherleson at gmail.com:

> Ok, let me ask you this:
>
> 1. Do you think the OMSF mailing list is where all community members feel safe and included to communicate?

No, and it is true about any communication channel.

> 2. If not, what steps can we take to do this better?

I have no specific proposals.

> 3. If osmf continues down this road, how will they do so to also be ssfe, inclusive and equitable in terms of power and true dialogue?

I am convinced that ensuring that primary and essential OSMF communication will
not be happen on service that may ban you randomly, without reason, without appeal
is a good way to improve inclusivity, equitability and so on.

Secondary communication may happen also elsewhere to reach more people and
further improve inclusivity.

> 4. What will each person responding to make sure that: more women respond, more people from other regions of the world respond, and, more importantly, that this is a safe and inclusive mailing list that is truly global, truly equitable and truly safe?

We cannot force that and truly global communication is limited by many factors,
typically extremely hard to fix.

Important steps were taken recently to make OSMF membership easier for people,
especially from regions where membership fee was a barier.

Yes, fee waiver existed but "I am really poor" application was for many people
problematic for cultural reasons, humiliating and current situation
is a significant improvement.

I think that spreading word about that 42 days of mapping within last year qualifies
you to be an OSMF member is the best way to increase diversity of OSMF and hopefully
also this mailing list.

I am quite proud that I managed to convince some people from Polish OSM community
to join (post on OSM forum and Telegram group).