[Osmf-talk] Commitment to open communication channels

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 23:09:23 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 18. Aug 2020, at 20:45, Kathleen Lu <kathleen.lu at mapbox.com> wrote:
>
> Martin, don't you think it would only increase the toxicity on this list for people to start calling out by name other people that they think are toxic or abusive? And if people already don't feel safe on this list, why in the world would they feel safe publicly calling out others' behaviors? I am not saying this is your intent, but your challenge could serve as a self-fulfilling prophecy: Tell people that they will not be believed, and they will be unlikely to speak up, and then you'll have your "proof" that there is no toxicity.

I didn’t mean to make you call out other people publicly, instead I rather thought you would not find a single case in recent times, but just in case there was something I would not remember I put the 2 in there.

To be honest, I have been personally attacked some years ago (against me as a person), once, and I can understand it can be hurtful, I did not want to make a call to tolerate such behavior, but realistically it cannot be completely prevented in open channels, and it does not happen frequently, indeed I have the impression it happens more seldom than 10 years ago, which could be read as an encouraging sign of a maturing environment.

Cheers Martin