[Osmf-talk] Brexit and OpenStreetMap

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:16:25 UTC 2020

Has someone analyzed the effects of Brexit on OpenStreetMap and which responses could be undertaken to fix potential problems?

For example have you looked at the consequences, cost and effort of moving the OpenStreetMap-Foundation to a EU-country and on the problems of staying in the UK (e.g. database protection for new databases by UK citizens will not be given in the EU).

Could we keep the servers in the UK but provide services under a different jurisdiction (because the foundation seat is moved)?

Is it possible to move the foundation, and what are the requirements? Maybe we should ask the membership what they would think about such a move? Has the board voiced its standpoint?

If something has been written about the specific situation of OpenStreetMap I would be interested in a link. I would also be interested in learning about your thoughts wrt brexit and OpenStreetMap. Publicly it seems we have mostly avoided any related considerations, until last year many had been hoping that someone would still stop it, but now it will become effective in only 4 months.

Cheers Martin

sent from a phone