[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Thu Dec 10 17:31:46 UTC 2020

arnalie faye vicario:
> Hello/kumusta,
>
> What an overwhelming response!
>
> This is my first time to email thru the global osm talk; it really takes true grit to
> join the conversations, huge thanks to the people who inspired me and sparked the flame.
>
> I will keep it short and redirect you to a (short) OSM Diary I wrote on Why WOMEN are
> pushing for a safe and inclusive space in OSM:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/arnalielsewhere/diary/395064
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/arnalielsewhere/diary/395064>

You diary example is a great argument for the workings of OSM. We can tag everything
and data consumers can use what they need.

But why have you not tagged
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/100466621
with lit=yes ?

And all this has nothing with these mailing lists.

It also has nothing to do with welcoming diversity and inclusion.
I, and surely many other white males, have tagged thousands of ways and paths with
lit=yes.

Not only for the benefit of women. There are also men that need it for security. And
children (both boys and girls) or their parents. It could be used to assist vehicles
in handling lights and speed, etc. Or for astronomers.

And we have not discouraged any women or men from tagging where ways are lit.

I just checked with overpass and I have edited more than 32.000 ways with lit set.
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1133

So I do feel disappointed by your diary implying that as a white male I am
unwelcoming diversity and inclusion by ignoring lit tags.

I think you should encourage women to tag more with lit=yes/no and other things you
believe are more important to women. Not that men could not also do it (like I am).

But we are volunteers and there is nothing wrong in tagging the things that are most
useful to us. For example I have very little interest in manholes or power-poles.
But I have tagged 300+ bars with smoking. Because I prefer to have my beers without
smoke. It is of course also useful to smokers looking for a bar, which is fine with
me as it just makes OSM more useful.
I am not particularly interested in volleyball, but I have made sure that all rowing
clubs in and close to Denmark are in OSM.
About 280 of them: https://agol.dk/elgaard/roklubber.html

I also think that routing apps could take advantage of lit tags by having a "prefer
lit roads" option. That it outside the scope of OSM, but as we get more ways tagget
with "lit", it get more likely to happen and more useful.

Niels Elgaard Larsen