[Osmf-talk] Diversity statement (Was: Next OSMF board meeting on Thursday 30 January 2020, at 17:00 UTC)

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Thu Jan 30 19:00:50 UTC 2020

Hi all,

> https://gist.github.com/grischard/53e4e9defebe7912f3aab9c0d2d1b55a is the diversity statement I’ll propose for the OSMF tonight. It is an adapted version of the Python Software Foundation’s statement, which they have very generously allowed us to use.

I strongly suggest to replace

   Although core OpenStreetMap work is done in English.

with something like

   Although using English facilitates communication on
   mixed-lingual communication channels.

This make clearer that the use of English stems from making things
easier and not other reasons, e.g. that the project has been started in
English speaking London or so.

It also makes clear that we expect in particular tolerance from reader
of the communication channels. There have been cases in the past where
people have been harassed for using innocent looking words like "sheep"
or "nonsense". The context had probably been provoking for some
sub-group of English speakers, surely untentional, and for anybody
outside that circle incomprehensible. We do not want to let such peer
pressure spill over and tarnish the community's communication channels.

I, as a non-native speaker, expect to be assured that messages written
in good faith are interpreted in good faith. Suggestions about wording,
if proportionate at all, are good candidates for private messages.

Roland