[Osmf-talk] 2020/Res29 Grant Cesium permission to use our trademark in their product “Cesium OSM Buildings“

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Thu Jun 4 09:56:58 UTC 2020

Dear OSMF board,

I have noticed from your meeting minutes that Cesium asked the
Foundation for a license to call one of their products "Cesium OSM
Buildings" [1].

There is already an open source project OSM Buildings (with associated
business called 3DBuildings [2]). It shows a 3D view of buildings is run
by Jan Marsch and has been existing since 2013 [3]. Jan is a member of
the German OSM and FOSSGIS community.

Granting the same name to a similar product of a different company gives
an unfair benefit for one company. It supports their hostile act of
using an established de-facto brand name. The Foundation should not
involve too much into business and especially it should not give one
party significant support/benefit compare to others without a proper
reason (e.g. someone complying with the license while other companies
don't). Granting a trademark license to Cesium does not help to maintain
peace in the community. Therefore, I ask you not to grant an explicit
license to Cesium. This does not mean that I ask you to enforce the
trademark (which is "OpenStreetMap", not "OSM").

It is true that Jan does not have a license for "OSM Buildings" either
but granting licenses should not support name grabbing and hostile
takeovers of established names.

Best regards

Michael Reichert aka Nakaner

[1]