[Osmf-talk] 2020/Res29 Grant Cesium permission to use our trademark in their product “Cesium OSM Buildings“

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Mon Jun 8 22:56:04 UTC 2020

> It is true that Jan does not have a license for "OSM Buildings" either
> but granting licenses should not support name grabbing and hostile
> takeovers of established names.

This doesn't seem accurate. You describe "OSM Buildings" as "an open source
project". Assuming that description is correct, then OSM Buildings does
have a license, under Section of the OSMF Trademark Policy: 3.3.6. Use in
software projects

Use of the OSM marks to name software components, packages, minor tools,
repositories and similar that process or work specifically with
OpenStreetMap data is permissible as long as the use follows the rest of
this policy.

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#3.3.6._Use_in_software_projects

If, on the other hand, "OSM Buildings" is a product or business name, then
Jan should have requested a license when the Trademark Policy went into
effect (though nothing is stopping him from making the request now).

-Kathleen