[Osmf-talk] Toward resolution of controversies related to iD

Stephen Hinton hinton at mykolab.com
Tue Jun 9 03:02:01 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-08 19:24, Phil Wyatt wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I would also support point 2 of Craigs email - a formal curation process for tags. It seems to me this is the biggest issue that seems to cause angst to some OSM users and, depending on its implementation, could also be used by any editing software. I also think it could be extended to include how tags would be validated. This would mean that developers could concentrate on the actual interface more so than dealing with squabbles about which tagging/validation is correct. OSMF should 'own' the tagging system and the developers just do the implementation of that 'certified agreed system'.
>
> As a user, the hardest thing is to find a central definitive list of 'approved tags' and how they should be used.
>
> Cheers - Phil

Hello All,

I am a relatively new mapper, and I think a centralized and curated
tagging database would be a great addition to the foundation. When I
first started mapping, I am sure that I created some "one-off" tags
because I did not know the correct tagging key and couldn't find
agreement among the various forums and wikis. Additionally, I have
noticed that when moving between the various OSM editors there are
certain common presents that are not shared between them. I realize that
the developers will ultimately choose how to incorporate presents into
their projects, but giving them a curated database would likely result
in a more consistent experience between editors and a larger list of
available presets in each.

However, a possible drawback to having a curated tagging database might
be the barrier for submitting new tag proposals. I would hate to see
people turn away from OSM due to a lack of tags that describe their
community because they have no idea how to suggest/create new tags.

(This is also my first time posting to a mailing list, my apologies if I
messed up the format or something)

Best,

Stephen Hinton

(OSM: hintonsb)