[Osmf-talk] LCA already has regions | Re: Proposed v2 of the Local Chapters Agreement, hopefully leading to OSMUS as a LC

Rory McCann rory.mccann at osmfoundation.org
Wed Jun 24 07:20:47 UTC 2020

On 24/06/2020 02:05, Tadeusz Cantwell wrote:
>> I would also like to make clear that the rights to use the OSM
>> trademarks apply only to the region the chapter is registered for. I
>> would not want a local chapter in one country starting to open
>> "OpenStreetMap outreach offices" in lots of other countries. I think the
>> agreement does not currently forbid that.
> > I get that you are saying "...apply only to the region the chapter is
> registered for", but for the sake of pedantry, OSM Ireland operates on
> the island of Ireland, incl. Northern Ireland, so any such rule would
> have to clearly state region/countries to avoid a contradiction with our
> constitution.

The Local Chapter Agreement has a part for the region. So if we made
such a rule, it would be based on that. Not the country which the
organisation is legally registered in. OSM Ireland⁽¹⁾ is already listed
as covering the island of Ireland.

Rory

[1]: https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters/Applications/Ireland