[Osmf-talk] Proposed v2 of the Local Chapters Agreement, hopefully leading to OSMUS as a LC

Rory McCann (OSMF Board) rory.mccann at osmfoundation.org
Wed Jun 24 19:37:53 UTC 2020

>> On 24. Jun 2020, at 20:46, Rory McCann <rory.mccann at osmfoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> I dunno. I suppose it's “illegal where you do it”. Are you worried
>> about that applying?
>

> I am curious why it was put there. Generally I would no official entity assume to engage in „illegal“ activity, and would not expect that it even has to be mentioned, so there must be something behind it, not?
>
> I could imagine with the current situation there can be differences for example with regard to drug laws (geobeers in Europe illegal below 16 years, in the US 21) or with regard to privacy rights and personal data protection. Or maybe regarding the mapping of certain things that the public would like to keep secret. Or maybe regarding prostitution, in some countries it could be illegal to even map a brothel (promoting prostitution), etc.
>
> There could also be issues regarding activities that a not-for profit may do or not do (i.e. tax laws), where there could be significant differences in different countries.
>
> Can you shine some light why „illegal activities“ are mentioned in the contract?
>
> Cheers Martin

It was in the original local chapters agreement, so you'll have to ask
the people who wrote that! 🙂

In my experience, clauses like this are common. It's probably there so
we can cancel the agreement immediately (§10.2) if they do it, and if
they get into really shady stuff (the mandatory mediation §10.3 could
kick in if OSMF were being evil).

Rory