[Osmf-talk] FOSSGIS position on OSMF hiring staff (WAS: Framework for the foundation's hiring practices)

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Jun 26 20:51:22 UTC 2020

On Friday 26 June 2020, Michael Reichert wrote:

> "accountable to the OSM community" means that they should report
> annually to the members about their work. We don't expect a detailed
> list what they worked how many hours through the year or a very long
> and detailed list but , let's say, one page describing the work they
> did.
>
> Note what we are calling for in the statement (Rechenschaftspflicht) is
not just a formality in delivering some report.  Many organizations, in
particular businesses, organize themselves primarily through who has
power over whom and from such an oranizational model it is natural to
bring up the argument of 'ten thousand bosses'.  But that is very far
besides the point of 'Rechenschaftspflicht' and 'Verantwortung' in
social relationships.

Personally i think this point is going to be of tremendeous importance
for the question if a functioning relationship between paid people and
volunteers can be achieved or if you end up with a highly dysfunctional
relationship like in Wikimedia or your garden variety corporate user
commmunity.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/