[Osmf-talk] FOSSGIS position on OSMF hiring staff (WAS: Framework for the foundation's hiring practices)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jun 28 19:04:54 UTC 2020

Jun 28, 2020, 19:56 by mike at teczno.com:

> Hi,
>
> Michael’s suggestions of a vote-driven job description and annual membership report both circumvent the OSMF board’s oversight responsibility and effectively make the position dependent on political process.

This claims seems weird to me.

1) why direct community control over establishing job position is supposed to circumvent
oversight responsibility?
1) why public report is supposed to circumvent oversight responsibility?
3) why you think that moving politics within OSMF boards would remove political process?
It would be still a political decision, just one made by delegates.

> This will limit the quality of our job candidates and hurt OSM’s effectiveness.

Why job description getting accepted by voting members would do this?

I agree that public report would be something that many candidates would dislike,
and it has also some negative effects.

But I would consider OSMF becoming like Wikimedia Foundation or becoming dependent
on companies such as Facebook to be far more dangerous.

Even if more control over paid positions would actually hurt OSM’s effectiveness but
make less likely to degenerate into WMF lookalike then it is a very useful and desirable
tradeof (details depend on strength of both effects)

> Most organizations with a board-like or elected political structure such as non-profits, governments, and corporations recognize that everyday administrative work must be insulated from fickle politics

Nobody proposed day to day micromanagement. Obviously, getting micromanaged via public
vote of OSMF members would be ridiculous. But that is a pure strawman.

> , so they set up layers of delegation and responsibility: non-profit EDs and corporate CEOs oversee operational work, while in government it’s normal to separate political appointments and civil service responsibilities.

Frankly, OSM and OSMF works far better than a typical non-profit/government/corporation
so "everybody is doing this" is not something convincing.

I would rather look at organizations who are successful at managing volunteers that are
doing things as a hobby. Taking big corporation as a model is not something that is
likely to work.

> In OSM, we have several rings of community responsibility:
>
> 1) OSM mappers
> 2) OSM community regularly active on lists, chat, etc.
> 3) OSMF voting membership (1,000s)
> 4) OSMF members who actually vote (100s)
> 5) Elected board (7)
>
> Only the elected board can offer paid staff stability from year to year; everyone else comes and goes.

And it is not precluding putting "should we establish job position XYZ for 1 year" (or 5 years)
to a public vote.