[Osmf-talk] FOSSGIS position on OSMF hiring staff (WAS: Framework for the foundation's hiring practices)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jun 27 09:30:34 UTC 2020

Jun 26, 2020, 22:02 by mike at teczno.com:

>> On Jun 26, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Michael Reichert <osm-ml at michreichert.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mikel,
>>
>> Am 26.06.20 um 20:40 schrieb Mikel Maron:
>>
>>> The third points about being responsible to the people who work for OSMF, and practically organizing management processes, also are topics to which we are paying particular attention.
>>>
>>> Wanted to check on the meaning of the second points about the role of OSMF members and community in these processes. Not sure if this came through the automated translation process well. What is envisioned by "approval by OSMF members" and "accountable to the OSM community"? >
>>> Certainly expect that community input will be sought and considered. If "approval" suggest some kind of formal vote, we think it's ultimately the role of the Board is to make decisions of this nature. On "accountable", practically speaking this typically means helping to set work plans and priorities, assessing quality of the work, etc. Considering our responsibility to those that work for OSMF, a fair work environment means someone can not have 10,000 bosses.
>>>

>> "approval by OSMF members" means that the members should approve the
>> creation of the paid job by vote. The approval should not happen on the
>> candidates selected by the board or to be selected by the board but on
>> the task description at the beginning of the hiring process (rather what
>> the employee should do than the requirements towards applicants).
>>

> We will get better staff candidates if they’re accountable to the board only.
>

> Board members are accountable to the voting membership and required to stand for re-election every two years. Staff members should be accountable to the board only.

Once hired (for specific, limited time) they would work for OSMF.

But paid staff (job position) should be approved (for limited specific time) by OSMF members.
We should avoid WMF failure mode with uncontrolled staff growth that is
divorced from what community needs or wants.

> Approval by OSMF members should take place during the regular election cycle, when the community votes for board members who express policy positions about what jobs can be handled by the community vs. professionals.

I agree, but it should be direct vote over whatever specific job positions should become
funded by OSMF.