[Osmf-talk] FOSSGIS position on OSMF hiring staff (WAS: Framework for the foundation's hiring practices)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jun 27 09:51:38 UTC 2020

I didn't understand Michaels point as creating 10'000 bosses for the
employees, just an annual report as a safeguard that the employees are
being utilized by the board as intended and approved by the membership.
For an example how wrong this can go we don't need to look any further
than the WMFs Knowledge Engine scandal (the jury is still out on the
repeat show of rebranding the WMF but it has a number of similar qualities).

I would suggest that instead of voting on job descriptions, there is
simply an annual budget and plan that is approved by the membership at a
general meeting. That gives the board enough flexibility to adjust to
changes during the year, but at the same time gives a base line against
which the actual activities and results can be checked and compared. At
the same time I suspect it would be a good idea to move to formally
audited accounts, I would be happy with volunteer run audits, but it
seems to be difficult to have that on a continuos base, so I would
suggest simply spending money.

A further point to consider is how employees (not allowed to talk about
their work without permission) and working groups (supposed to
transparent and open about everything) are going to interact and if this
will even be workable.

Simon