[Osmf-talk] FOSSGIS position on OSMF hiring staff (WAS: Framework for the foundation's hiring practices)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jun 27 12:55:56 UTC 2020

Am 27.06.2020 um 13:38 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> On 27.06.20 11:51, Simon Poole wrote:
>> I would be happy with volunteer run audits, but it
>> seems to be difficult to have that on a continuos base, so I would
>> suggest simply spending money.
> The idea behind having someone in the community make an audit is that
> they know the backstories. If the treasurer buys an EUR 10k drone then
> an external auditor can only verify whether that purchase was properly
> registered in the accounts, not whether the purchase was actually legit
> and in line with general expectations.
>
> For me as a member, it is actually *less* interesting that there is a
> proper invoice for the drone; I want to know that the purchase of the
> drone wasn't a hobby thing that the treasurer neglected to tell anyone

Well a purchase of a drone for 10k would have been in the capex budget,
so at least, if not for the specifics of  the individual item, an
overall check on the validity of the purchases would be possible.

> about ;)
>
>> A further point to consider is how employees (not allowed to talk about
>> their work without permission) and working groups (supposed to
>> transparent and open about everything) are going to interact and if this
>> will even be workable.
> I think it is very important to allow employees to talk with the
> community about everything regarding their work, and even encourage them
> to do so if asked, and only make very few and clearly documented
> exceptions from this rule (similarly to how we currently make some
> exceptions from board meeting transparency).

Sure, I was just pointing out what the default would be and that
wouldn't jive well with the rest of the organisation, or put different a
general policy on communications with the community would needed to be
determined and written down in a suitable place (employees handbook or
similar).

Simon