[Osmf-talk] OpenCoronaMap online

Seán Lynch seanlynch at umail.ucc.ie
Thu Mar 26 16:53:34 UTC 2020

Hi again,

Thanks Michal and Martin for the reassuring words

I have always supported and proactively engaged with the OSMF. Not once has
the OSMF contacted me about a trademark issue or brought the issue up when
I made a lighting presentation at SoTM in Heidelberg. Rather, I proactively
engaged with the group and when asked to write to trademark, I did, but
nearly 24 months later I have not received a reply.

Meanwhile, an average of about 900 tonnes of plastic continues to flow into
the ocean every hour and people new to data collection are being tricked
into celebrating low quality closed data and the protection of polluting
industries financed by the Trump administration.

I wrongly thought open litter mapping would be a catalyst for citizen
science because it was the most accessible form of data collection the
world has ever seen. I also wrongly thought to achieve some support from
the OSM community or the likes of pineapple fund but unfortunately the only
support that I have received over the last 3+ years of my app in production
are seemingly empty threats and largely off-putting discussions. I am now
pivoting to open corona mapping, which I believe is an even more
accessible form of open data collection than open litter mapping and may be
the missing catalyst for citizen science. Hopefully one day, open data on
pollution or pandemics might even get a basic level of support because its
important but so far, more than 55+ grants have rejected my application and
kickstarter couldn't even reach one percent. Worryingly, I wouldn't worry
too much about the trademark because people really don't care.

--
https://openlittermap.com @OpenLitterMap (Fb, Tw, Ig)
M.Sc. Coastal & Marine Environments (NUIG, 2015)