[Osmf-talk] OpenCoronaMap online

Seán Lynch seanlynch at umail.ucc.ie
Thu Mar 26 18:02:41 UTC 2020

Hi Stephan,

I appreciate that, which is why

1. I proactively wrote to OSMF, wrongly thinking people here would have
been delighted to see someone take initiative and pioneer open science on
pollution. I was clearly mistaken and I apologize. It won't happen again.

2. When asked to write to trademark, I did. But 24 months have passed, and
nobody has replied to my email. Yet I am the one raising these issues
because even though not many people seem to think this work is important, *it
is.*

If any of my projects achieve success, I would not hesitate to make a
financial contribution beyond what is expected of tile usage policy. I
think open data is important and should be supported?

How could I be more helpful?

Kindest regards,

Seán

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 17:51, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de> wrote:

> On 26.03.2020 17:42, Heikki Vesanto wrote:
> > Where is this trademark policy?
> > Because it is not on:
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy
>
> Please check your browser/cache setting. It is there for me.
>
> > "open-XY-map" does not have an OSM mark, and does not sound similar to
> > OpenStreetmap.
>
> The page list some OSM marks as example:
>
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#1.1._The_.E2.80.9COSM_marks.E2.80.9D
>
> It explicitly lists the word OpenStreetMap (an OSM mark), which at least
> for me has a similar sound like OpenXYMap. So you need a trademark
> license for OpenXYMap.
>
> This not allowed combination of words to take advantage of the OSM marks
> is explicitly mentioned:
>
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#2.1._Proper_form
> You may not:
>      abbreviate the wordmarks, combine them with other words
> (“OpenStreetMapThing”), or substitute words in the mark
> (“OpenStreetThing” or “OpenThingMap”), especially where the new
> combination sounds similar to OpenStreetMap.
>
> You can always have this tested in court. But as Frederik said: Actively
> fighting against the community discussed and officially approved OSM
> policy does not qualify you as a friend of OpenStreetMap.
>
> And while we are it:
>
> The mentioned website is also prone of violating the tile usage policy,
> at least once it reaches their intended large-scale audience.
> https://operations.osmfoundation.org/policies/tiles/
>

> I personally will now refuse from actively mentioning or even promoting
> the initially named maps as they are likely going to waste my membership
> fees for legal actions which would have been unneeded if people would
> follow our policies.
>
> Just because you believe you're doing something "for a good cause" does
> not mean you are no longer needed to follow laws, rules or good manner.
>
> Stephan

https://openlittermap.com @OpenLitterMap (Fb, Tw, Ig)
M.Sc. Coastal & Marine Environments (NUIG, 2015)
M.Sc. GIS & Remote Sensing (UCC, 2014)
B.A. Geography & Economics (UCC, 2011)
ie.linkedin.com/in/seanlynchgis