[Osmf-talk] How can one help out OSM?

Matthew Gibb mjngibb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 12:34:26 UTC 2020

Hi Jo,

For the mapping side of things, I think having a personal connection with
where you map is always a good starting point for returning to OSM (eg
places you're familiar with, neighboring towns that have received less
attention on the map). Adding the additional details beyond what one can
see in the imagery can go a long way.

A recent blog post from Mapillary, OSM-US, GeoChicas, and HOT highlighted a
number of ongoing mapping initiatives that could also use support, as well
as other opportunities to contribute [1].

While a longer term commitment, working groups within the OSMF would also
benefit from increased involvement. While I can't speak to any specific
group needs, I know it comes up often.

All the best and welcome back,

Matt

[1]:
https://blog.mapillary.com/update/2020/03/19/Mapping_in_the_Times_of_Covid-19_and_How_You_Can_H.html

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:59 PM Jo Walsh <metazool at fastmail.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Having a bit more time on one's hands, what are the most needed ways to
> volunteer effort to support OSM? What's the pathway in for potential
> contributors who may be new to OSM culture or have lost touch with it for a
> while?
>
> Cheers,
>

> Jo
>

> --