[Osmf-talk] Geolibres Local Chapter application for Argentina

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue May 5 10:17:34 UTC 2020

Am 05.05.2020 um 11:39 schrieb Craig Allan:
> Re Simon comment:
>
> Sorry, I must have missed something. We should discuss.
>
> The translation is a bit opaque, but I read in Article 5 that:
> a) full voting membership is available to an active OSM contributor,
> subject to an introduction by an existing active member and approval
> by the board.

That is the point, self-selection of members clearly does not fulfil the
requirement of a democratically organised organisation open to all.

> b) there will be an associate ("adherent") non-voting membership for
> those who do not meet the above criteria.
>
> It excludes legal minors, but any adult is unconditionally eligible
> for at least one of the two classes of member. It seems quite similar
> to OSMF.  I regard it as fitting the criterion for easy mass membership.

It excludes everybody that is not already a "friend" of an existing member.

Now there may be some legal restrictions that require two tiers of
membership and slightly different voting rights (the best example of
this is the OSMF itself) however the rationale behind the structure is
not given in any of the documents that accompany the application.

If the "cabal" structure is legally required there are still ways to
address this, for example the LC agreement could require the
organisation to provide a "proxy member" that will recommend all
applications to the board, or a similar fudge that can be enshrined in
the agreement.

But as said, I don't understand why this wasn't addressed by the LCCWG
before it got here.

> I don't have anything to do with HOT so can't comment on the window
> dressing aspect.  Please explain...

The non-voting membership tier (HOT doesn't have that).

Simon

> regards
> Craig
>
> On 2020/05/05 10:26, Simon Poole wrote:
>>

>> Am 05.05.2020 um 07:48 schrieb Craig Allan:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Checklist:
>>> 1. Non-profit entity