[Osmf-talk] Geolibres Local Chapter application for Argentina

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Tue May 5 17:07:36 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am 05/05/2020 um 11.39 schrieb Craig Allan:
> Re Simon comment:
>
> Sorry, I must have missed something. We should discuss.
>
> The translation is a bit opaque, but I read in Article 5 that:
> a) full voting membership is available to an active OSM contributor,
> subject to an introduction by an existing active member and approval by
> the board.
> b) there will be an associate ("adherent") non-voting membership for
> those who do not meet the above criteria.
>
> It excludes legal minors, but any adult is unconditionally eligible for
> at least one of the two classes of member. It seems quite similar to
> OSMF.  I regard it as fitting the criterion for easy mass membership.
>
> I don't have anything to do with HOT so can't comment on the window
> dressing aspect.  Please explain...

It is true that anyone can join as a member no matter how active they
are. However, only "active members" (article 5, section a) are able to
vote (article 6) and to stand for election as board members (article
11). This means that all members which are not active members have no
rights in the organisation. Therefore, the organisation requires
approval by the board for new members to join which is similar to HOT US
Inc. which requires an 2/3 approval by the general assembly (article 3.4
of HOT Bylaws).

The application in its current form should not be approved.

Best regards

Michael