[Osmf-talk] Possible vote on membership prerequisites

Joost Schouppe joost at osmfoundation.org
Sun Nov 1 10:39:57 UTC 2020

 Hi,

We've been discussing this for a longer time, and I do see the value in the
proposal. It would in fact make it harder to sign up a bunch of sock
puppets. However it does come at a cost. Any policy of this sort will make
membership for some depending on Board approval - and not everyone trusts
the Board. For practical reasons, we would be able to automatically allow
mappers in. But it would -for technical reasons- be harder to automatically
endorse mailing list, code or wiki contributors. And harder still to allow
people in who contribute in organizational skills or networking.

One of the main open issues with the current Active Contributor Membership,
is that it is unclear to both applicants and the Board how much you should
explain about your non-mapping contribution. For example, someone might
think their name speaks for itself, while the Board expects you to write at
least a full sentence about recent efforts. When the Board comes back with
"insufficient data to accept this membership", people think that means
"no". We need a better way of handling this process before implementing
this at a much wider scale.

 Any policy of this sort will give some people the impression that OSMF
wants to be a "closed club". They would be wrong of course, but there would
still be real consequences. I think having a clear procedure to kick out
fraudsters on the one hand, and keep working on growing the membership
would do at least as much to address the problem, without the same cost.

Best,
Joost